Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Concert Review & Boot!!!: My Morning Jacket - Great Plaza, Philadelphia 8/29/10

I started off my "Summer Concert Series" back in May with My Morning Jacket, so it's fitting that I ended it with them this past Sunday.  It was another clear summer night at the Great Plaza River Stage, which according to Jim James of MMJ felt like playing under a circus tent.  If you've seen the striped canopy that hangs over the audience you'd probably agree.  As usual Jim classed up the joint, wearing a black suit accessorized with a cape during the encore.  It seems redundant to describe the energy this band puts into their performances but I honestly have yet to see/hear them not give it their all every time.   

The set drew from throughout their catalog of music, including the old-school fan favorite "Honest Man".  One thing that stood out to me were the transitions between some of the songs.  Several times they transitioned from one song to the next by playing a 2-3 minute jam of another song.  Obviously they only have enough time to play a certain number of songs during any given show, so this allows fans to at least hear a snippet of a song they wouldn't have heard otherwise. 

MMJ has built a very loyal fan base over the last decade and their fans are some of the best in the biz.  Below is a picture of the poster for this show.  You may notice that's it's been signed by several band members after the fan waited long after the show for a chance to see the guys.  I'd also like to send out a big thanks to Jesse Hurlburt for taping the show and posting it up on the Live Music Archive.  The link to download the show is under the setlist.  Enjoy!

Setlist:
1. Rollin Back (instrumental intro)
2. The Way That He Sings
3. Gideon
4. Mahgeetah
5. Golden
6. Circuital
7. It Beats 4 U
8. Honest Man
9. I'm Amazed
10. Easy Morning Rebel
11. Tonite I Want To Celebrate With You
12. Steam Engine
13. Smokin' From Shootin' -->
14. Run Thru (end jam only)
15. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 2 -->
16. Lay Low (end jam only)
encore:
17. Wordless Chorus
18. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 1
19. Highly Suspicious
20. Off The Record
21. One Big Holiday

Download:  MMJ - Great Plaza 8/29/10

No comments:

Post a Comment