Thursday, August 5, 2010

Concert Review: The Arcade Fire & Spoon - Mann Music Center 8/2/10

Unfortunately I missed the beginning of Spoon's set thanks to I-76 traffic.  From what I did get to hear, they sounded great.  I was a little surprised that an established group like Spoon would be the opener but after having seen some awful opening bands in my day, I was quite pleased to have them.  Spoon's most recent album "Transference" was a little disappointing in my opinion, but the new songs did seem to translate well live.  Hopefully I'll get to see Spoon again soon as a headliner.

Spoon's Setlist:
Black Like Me, Nobody Gets Me But You, Don't You Evah, Rhythm and Soul, You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb, Is Love Forever?, The Ghost of You Lingers, Trouble Comes Running, Small Stakes, Love Song (The Damned cover), I Summon You, Written in Reverse, Don't Make Me a Target, Got Nuffin, Stay Don't Go, Jonathon Fisk

The Arcade Fire played a set full of energy and excitement on the eve of the release of their new album titled "The Suburbs".  In keeping with the theme of the album, the stage backdrop was a highway overpass and a large video screen was constructed to look like a roadside billboard.  The band needed all the room they could get on stage since they have 8 members and a wide variety of instruments.  I wasn't expecting much crowd interaction from them but several members including lead singer Win Butler spoke and even ran out into the crowd.  The new songs sounded promising, several (Deep Blue, Modern Man, and Sprawl II) really stood out to me. 

The Arcade Fire's Setlist:
Ready to Start, Neighborhood #2 (Laika), No Cars Go, Haïti, Rococo, Oh It's Such A Shame (Jay Reatard cover), Deep Blue, The Suburbs, Intervention, We Used to Wait, Neighborhood #3 (Power Out), Rebellion (Lies), Month of May, Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains), Keep the Car Running,
Encore:  Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels), Modern Man, Wake Up 

No comments:

Post a Comment